embARC Open Software Platform (OSP)
The embARC Open Software Platform (OSP) is an open source software distribution for embedded applications on ARC® Processors. The embarc OSP distribution is managed by Synopsys for the community and all contributions are welcomed (requires CLA).
It is designed to provide a unified platform for DesignWare® ARC® processors users by defining consistent and simple software interfaces to the processor and peripherals, together with ports of several well known FOSS embedded software stacks to DesignWare® ARC® processors.
embarc OSP provides a starting foundation for embedded developers, simplifying development and improving time-to-market through software reuse.
Purpose and Scope
embarc OSP is an open software platform, providing useful components with a consistent software layering model and interfaces to DesignWare® ARC® processors for portability and reusability. Developers can write software based on embarc OSP to accelerate implementation and reduce their learning curve and the time-to-market of final product implementation.
The goals of embARC are as follows:
- Provide an easy introduction for new users of DesignWare® ARC® processors.
- Provide useful software stacks as a starting point for building embedded products based on DesignWare® ARC® processors and well-known open-source software packages.
- Provide broad ranges of examples to demonstrate DesignWare® ARC® processors usage in various embedded IoT applications.
- Provide simple, frictionless out-of-the box user experience through:
- Single archive download containing all embARC packages and examples.
- Comprehensive pre-integrated tools support.
- Clear, simple, and extensive how-to instructions.
The embARC Open Software Platform general architecture and components are shown in the block diagram below.